Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Cannes: Day Zero

Hi, folks-- just a quick note before I put on my nice shirt and shoes and walk down to get my pass at the Cannes Film Festival.

I have a list of screenings where I get priority access. The good news is that they're screening most of the movies in competition at the festival and for free. The bad news is that the subtitles at my screenings are in French, which might make non-English, non-French movies a bit of a struggle. The good news is that there's a strong showing of movies this year, including these ones that I'm most looking forward to:

Wes Anderson's 'Moonrise Kingdom':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtxhDIE6Qbs&feature=fvst

David Cronenberg's 'Cosmopolis' (based on the Don DeLillo novel):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WpEc-rJQ3s

John Hillcoat's 'Lawless':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zl7S1LaPMU

...And many, many more. There will also be restored prints of 'Jaws' and one of my personal favorites, 'Once Upon a Time in America'. Each night, they show movies for free on the beach... this year will feature several James Bond movies, in honor of that franchise's 50th anniversary (speaking of that, is anybody else pumped for 'Skyfall', this year's Daniel Craig installment?).

I have heard rumors that extra tickets to showings in the big theatres (to which, alas, I don't have access) may become available from time to time, so I'm going to hope I can get my hands on those to fill in some of the gaps in my schedule's offerings.

Cannes has transformed noticeably in the last several days... billboard ads, posters for the festival all over, suits standing by every entrance that could possibly be mistaken for backstage access, and now lots of people with festival lanyards (soon to be followed by lots of people with lots of money and nice suits and dresses and adoring fans and... yeah, festival lanyards). Photos to follow.

Anyway, I'm off to see what's what. The festival starts tonight and runs through Sunday the 27th. I'm a bit nervous, but ready to get rolling.

And... action.

-Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment